Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ugolino and his sons

I was in the great city New York recently and had time to sit and draw at the MET. Of course I went directly to my favorite statue: "Ugolino and his sons" by Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux. So for about 2 hours I sat in a conspicuous corner and tried to best my last try at this subject.
In this drawing you can get a good idea of my process, moving up from the bottom you can see I block in the most general shapes and then get more and more detailed shapes, next I begin to work in the shading and finally tighten edges.
Also, if you have any way to get to NY in the next 2 months, there is an absolutely brilliant J.C. Leyendecker show up at the Society of Illustrators with some of the most jaw-dropping work I have ever seen.

9 comments:

dillon can said...

Looks good for a 2 hour, running around the met, drawing.

Anonymous said...

excelent !!! david

gran abrazo

Anders said...

fantastic piece! (and the statue is awesome, thanks for the discovery)

Pedro said...

Great work and an excellent lesson looking at your drawing and imagining the steps to the final presentation.
It is curious as we can be atracted for the same motive that we draw again and again...

Tim Bye said...

Your line work is top notch David - really inspiring! I learn from your drawings!

Unknown said...

I totally agree with Tim, it's inspiring, really is!

Faboun'e said...

love all you made... Great work..!!!

Pointpusher said...

This is one of my favorite sites to visit to get the old inspirational juices flowing (thank you). And now, one of my favorite artists has drawn one of my favorite statues. Great work as usual.

adebanji said...

Powerful, simply powerful drawing that speaks!!!!!