Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Flower in oil

And now back to that other kid..

11"x14" Oil on board
You may remember this drawing from a couple months back. At the time I had another painting of her I was working on but it was fast turning into an epic failure, my friend Lash LeRoux suggested the drawing would work as a painting. So I gave up on the other and began again on a better foundation. I really pushed the colors and gave it more of an illustrative feel and I think it turned out very nicely. I've been searching for a way to use the feeling I get in my drawings across in oil with the majority of the rendering and detail in the face then letting it trail off in the less important bits. I like the background here, rough enough to see the board but subtle and complimentary IMO.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous...inspiring to say the least. I just want to study it all day. Always wanted to mess with oils and it's work like this that compels me to it

Ben Lo said...

Love how you did the hair!!, I recently started looking at Leyendecker stuffs and the way you stylized them reminds me of his work.

Sadami said...

Hi, David,
I love this work so much! How cute she is!!
Cheers,ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ Sadami

Mark Robison said...

great piece dave.

Adrian Lubbers said...

Lovely Dave. It has such a soft "Rockwell" fell to it. Beautiful!

Lash LeRoux said...

I am SO pleased to see this as a finished painting, Dave! Everything about this portrait works beautifully! The mood, the composition, the colors, the impressionistic background versus the wonderful rendering and detail in the face… everything pulls together and compliments the finished work nicely. This painting sings! What an awesome, awesome piece, my friend.

Tim Bye said...

Beautiful painting

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous :)

Deb Schmit said...

Dave,
Its always a pleasure and inspiration to stop by your blog. I love this portrait of your daughter!! The best yet. Is that new baby - yours?? I definitely missed something along the way. If so, belated congratulations, another model for you! When the first child is born you think, "Oh boy, I'll never paint again." then you glance over your shoulder and there they are, dressed as your muse.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful and textured and rich, I love it.